It’s blistering hot outside and although you might be daydreaming about sipping frozen drinks on the beach, a Downtown Lakeland event has returned to remind shoppers that the six-month countdown to Christmas has begun.
It’s time for Merry Leon – that’s noel spelled backward – and an opportunity to get a jumpstart on those holiday shopping lists.
This fifth annual event will be held Tuesday, June 20, 5-8 p.m.
Activities include sales, specials, refreshments, shop demonstrations, and an opportunity to win gift certificates, which spend like cash at numerous participating shops and restaurants throughout Downtown Lakeland.
Shoppers can purchase a passport for $5, or bring $5 worth of products, which will be donated to The Villages of Noah’s Landing, a community of young adults with special needs
Shoppers will get their passports stamped as they visit each business. Completed passports are due at 8 p.m. on June 20 and can be turned in at the last shop visited. Drawings will be held to award gift certificates valued at $150 (1); $100 (1); $50 (1); and $25 (6). Winners will be announced on June 23. Gift certificates can be used at any of the participating stores.
Participating businesses are:
- Bella Viságe Medical & Aesthetic Rejuvenation– We’re offering wine and cheese, as well as 10 percent off products and 20 percent off any service booked on event night.
- Brooke Pottery– We’re serving juice, cookies, wine and cheese. We’ll also give out ornaments with various discount opportunities that can be used that evening.
- Amelia Paige Boutique & Embroidery– Find one of our hidden Christmas ornaments in the store and save 10-15 percent off your total purchase. Spend $50 and get a free Lakeland T-shirt while supplies last.
- Lakeland Escape Room– Take $5 off admission when you visit us on June 20. Your Escape Room experience can be booked for a future date. One coupon per customer.
- Magnolia Popcorn Co.- Take $1 off a large (5 cup) bag on June 20, and receive a voucher for 20 percent off an order of $10 or more during the month of December 2017.
- Pumpernaks with Lemonthreads- Take 15 percent off greeting cards and 30 percent off BlocArt.
- Traditions Unlimited- Declare your gift purchases are for Christmas gifts and get 15 percent off each item (up to three items). Take Old World Ornaments are 10 percent off. We’re also hosting the charity Samaritan’s Purse during Merry Leon. They will explain their Operation Christmas Child program and encourage event participants to sign up. We’re partnering with the group to provide the container for their donated items and will host a packing party in November. We also will provide a coupon to offset the cost of sending the packed boxes.
- Escapology Escape Rooms Lakeland- Get 30 percent off in-store gift card purchases and 20 percent off all merchandise purchased on Merry Leon night.
- Rafa Natural- We’re serving sangrias and treats throughout the night, and the first 25 people through the door will get a free Summer Sangria bar of soap.
- Scout & Tag- Get a free Conversation Coffee Mug when you spend $35 or more. We’ll be serving sangrias and treats throughout the night.
- Focus Realty Group, KW Lakeland and Focus Homes– Receive a coupon for a free appraisal from Monica Young and The Mortgage Firm, and a free title search from Jamie at RP Title and Escrow. Eat some yummy holiday treats, enter to win a TV, learn about custom home building or search homes for sale.
- Jesse Carl Vinyl
- Mitchells Coffee House
- Stationery Loft
Ann Rye, owner of Traditions Unlimited, devised the Merry LEON idea based on inspiration from WFLA AM radio and its morning show host Jack Harris. Years ago, Harris began celebrating the halfway mark to Christmas on June 25 with holiday music.
June retail sales can be slow in downtown Lakeland because the area’s winter residents have left, school is out, and lots of residents go out of town for vacation.
“We began hosting the Merry Leon event as a creative way to bring people downtown to shop,” Rye says.
This post will be updated as businesses finalize details of activities and other offers they will have during the event.